System Time: 05:05 25 May 2013 - 0 Players Online
What are Artefacts
Artefacts are basically tools in the BlogShares game. They have six functions which can affect Blogs, and one function which affects Ideas. Artefacts have no inherent value, and do not contribute to your net worth. However, they can be useful for growing your wealth. Artefacts function only on blogs which have been voted into the artefact's specific Industries (such as English, Blog Services, or Spain.)
How to Create an Artefact
First, you need to own 10,000 Ideas in an Industry which has an artefact. Not all Industries have them. To determine if an Industry has one, open a specific Industry page (Music, for example), then click on the link for full view. Scroll down below the graphs. If there is an artefact in the industry, it will appear here with a description and the top five players who own it.
Once you have the Ideas, click on the link for [Your Ideas] on the right side menu. On the right side of the table, in the row of the industry, will be a Build Artefact link. Click it, and your Artefact is complete.
Now, two things will happen at this point. The artefact will be created in your Portfolio. But, the 10,000 ideas you used to build it will be removed from your account. Naturally, since Ideas have inherent value toward your net worth, and Artefacts do not, your overall net worth will take a hit.
Why Create an Artefact
There are two main reasons a player creates an Artefact:
Many players attempt to collect Artefacts in all Industries available. At this point there are many Artefacts in the game with more being created constantly. Some are easily available (due to abundance of the Ideas produced), some are downright scarce, and the Ideas for these Industries often fetch nice prices on the Bonds Market.
More importantly, artefacts have seven functions available to a player. Let's explore them:
- This move enables the player to raise the stock share price of a blog in the Artefact's Industry.
- Public Relations Disaster (a.k.a. PRD)
- This move enables the player to destroy the share price of a blog (stock) in the artefact's industry.
- Restructure Blog (a.k.a. RST)
- This move allows the player to acquire 5-20% of shares from each stockholder in a blog at 3 times the market price.
- Hostile Takeover (a.k.a. HTO)
- This move allows the player to buy all non-owner stock for a particular blog in the artefact's industry at 3 times the market price.
- Industry Buzz
- This move enables the player to increase the share price across the top 50-100 blogs in the industry.
- Industry Slump
- This move enables the player to decrease the share price across the top 50-100 blogs in the industy.
- Pressure Public (a.k.a. PP)
- This move allows the player to acquire all public shares in a blog at half market price.
- Raid Blog
- This move steals 20-100% of the idea commodities produced by a blog in the artefact's industry.
How to Use an Artefact
There are two main ways to use an artefact. You can access a list of those you own by clicking Your Artefacts from the Members Area menu. From here, you can perform any of the seven blog functions by selecting the one you want from the pull-down menu on the left side of the artefact box. You can quickly select one of the top ten blogs in that specific industry, or enter the URL of the blog you wish to act upon.
You can also use artefacts by first selecting a blog you wish to affect, and going to that blog's page in the BlogShares system. If you have an artefact which can be used on the blog, a link will appear above the blog information, such as Use Oxford Dictionary. Clicking this link will take you to the same artefact box, but with the blog you had clicked from already entered into the URL field. Simply choose the function you want from the left pull-down menu, and use the artefact.
Players with 750 or more karma enjoy two uses in a 24 hour period. You will only see this artefact appear on any one blog page once, but you still get two uses out of it.
More Artefact Information
Artefacts can only be used once per 24 hour period for players under 750 karma.
You can only own one Artefact in each Industry.
Artefacts cannot be exchanged, sold, or lost, except by administrative action.
Write descriptions for future Artefacts! See the Artefact ideas thread in the forums.
Also, it is important to note that if you use a group of artefacts on the same blog too close together, the effects of the first several uses may be ignored as it takes a few seconds to write the artefact usage to the database.